The Environmental Management Bureau is mandated to implement the following national environmental laws:
- PD 1586 (Environmental Impact Statement System)
- RA 6969 (Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Waste Control Act of 1990)
- RA 8749 (Clean Air Act of 1999)
- RA 9003 (Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000)
- RA 9275 (Philippine Clean Water Act of 2004)
- RA 9512 (Environmental Awareness and Education Act of 2008)
Under E.O. 192, EMB is mandated to provide research and laboratory services; and serve as secretariat in the adjudication of pollution cases.
Under EO 320, EMB is designated as the secretariat of the Designated National Authority for CDM of the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Advise the Secretary relating to environmental management;
- Formulate plans and policies and set appropriate environmental quality standards (Water, Air And Noise) for the prevention, control of pollution and protection of the environment;
- Exercise direct supervision over its regional offices in the implementation of plans and programs. The central and regional offices of the bureau discharge both staff and regulatory functions;
- Issue permits, clearances Under RA 8749, RA 9003, RA 9275, RA 6969 and PD 1586 and monitor compliance to said laws;
- Provide secretariat support to the pollution adjudication board per EO 192;
- Provide secretariat support to the National Solid Waste Management Commission as provided for in Section 4 of RA 9003;
- Develop and implement a research and development program in support of the following:
- Environmental And Compliance Monitoring; and
- Study of existing and potential environmental problems and issues
To protect, restore and enhance environmental quality towards good public health, environmental integrity and economic viability.
A nation empowered to protect our finite natural resources, attuned to the pursuit of sustainable development, for a clean and healthy environment that enhances the Filipino Quality of life for present and future generations.
Ensure Attainment of an Environmental Quality that is conducive for present and future generations
- Air, Water and Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals Management
Pursue Cooperation and Partnership
- Environmental Impact Assessment System Implementation
- Solid Waste Management
- Secretariat assistance to the Pollution Adjudication Board
Lead by Example
- Environmental Compliance and Organizational Performance