The EMB is a line Bureau by virtue of Section 34 of the Philippine Clean Air Act Of 1999 (R.A. 8749). The Bureau is mandated to implement on a nationwide scale the six (6) important Environmental Laws, to wit:
- Environmental Impact Assessment Law (PD 1586)
- Toxic Substances and Hazardous Waste Management Act (R.A. 6969)
- Clean Air Act Of 1999 (R.A. 8749)
- Ecological Solid Waste Management Act (R.A. 9003)
- Clean Water Act (R.A. 9275)
- Environmental Awareness And Education Act Of 2009 (R.A. 9512)
EMB’s mission is “To Protect, Restore and Enhance Environmental Quality towards Good Public Health, Environmental Integrity and Economic Viability”. The Bureau will continue to pursue a strong agenda of Environmental Reform to improve Air and Water Quality, manage wastes and contribute to the enhancement of the Development Process thru strong new laws and policy frameworks.
A nation empowered to protect our natural resources, attuned to the pursuit a sustainable development, for a clean and a healthy environment that enhances the Filipino Quality of life for present and future generation.
We pledge to achieve quality environment and sustainable natural resources through good governance and high degree of professionalism, in consideration of our stakeholders and in accordance with pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
We pledge to attend to all applicants or requesting parties who are within the premises of the office or agency concerned prior to the end of official working hours and during lunch break.
A. Advise the Secretary on matters relating to Environmental Management
B. Formulate plans and policies and set appropriate Environmental Quality Standards (Water, Air and Noise) for the prevention, control of pollution and protection of the environment
C. Exercises direct supervision over its Regional Offices in the implementation of plans and programs. The Central and Regional Offices of the Bureau discharge both staff and regulatory functions
– Issue Permits, Clearances under R.A. 8749, R.A. 9003, R.A. 9275, R.A. 6969 and P.D. 1586 and monitor compliance to said laws
D. Provides secretariat support to the Pollution Adjudication Board per E.O. 192
E. Provides secretariat support to the National Solid Waste Management Commission as provided for in Section 4 Of R.A. 9003
F. Develop and Implement a Research and Development Program in support of the following:
– Environmental Criteria and Standards Formulation;
– Environmental and Compliance Monitoring; and
– Study of Existing and Potential Environmental Problems and Issues
G. Implement a system for the recognition of Environmental Laboratories
H. Promote Public Information and Education to encourage participation of an informed citizenry in Environmental Quality Planning and Monitoring.
I. Serve as Focal Point Agency for International Agreements/Commitments